How Does Preeclampsia Affect Pregnancy?
Pregnancy is itself a sensitive process and it becomes tougher with any complications. Preeclampsia is one of the uncommon complications of pregnancy which was previously recognized as toxemia.
Preeclampsia usually occurs in late pregnancy or after the 20th week or after the delivery of the baby. In this, pregnant women experience high blood pressure (Hypertension), high levels of protein in urine, fluid retention, inflammation in legs, hands etc. Symptoms can be from mild to severe. Preeclampsia hands out sudden spikes in blood pressure. It can be fatal and leads to eclampsia which is pretty more severe than this.
Eclampsia involves seizures or comas which can sometimes cause death even. If the signs and symptoms of preeclampsia are ignored and left unattended then it can be risky for the health of mother and baby. Well, it can even occur after the delivery of the baby so, it is very important to treat this at the right time.
Just flip through this article to know victims, symptoms, and treatments of preeclampsia!
When women become victims of preeclampsia?
There are some risk factors which are more likely to increase the risk of preeclampsia in women during pregnancy. Whether you have a healthy pregnancy or not you must get a regular visit to the Best Gynecologists in Ahmedabad. Know which women are at risk of preeclampsia.
- Pretty common in very first pregnancy
- Multiple pregnancies
- Family history of hypertension, diabetes, diseases related to kidney
- Someone in your family had preeclampsia
- You had preeclampsia in your previous pregnancy
- If you are above 35
- If you are obese
- Poor diet
- If you had complicated pregnancy previously
- Autoimmune diseases such as lupus or antiphospholipid
- If you have delayed pregnancy
- Undergone fertility treatment
There can be any other causes of preeclampsia. Some causes are still not known but at Sneh IVF Hospital, we have treated complicated pregnancies no matter how normal or worst it is!
Symptoms or Indications of Preeclampsia:
The most common signs of preeclampsia are hypertension, high blood pressure, high proportion of protein in urine, damage to kidney or other organs etc. some symptoms a woman experiences but often avoid by considering them ordinary but can lead to the worst. Don’t ignore the symptoms such as,
- Chronic or severe headache
- Breathing difficulties
- Decrease in platelets counts
- Change in vision
- Body ache or upper abdominal pain
- Bloating, nausea and vomiting
- Sudden change in weight
- Increase liver enzymes
- Less or more urination
- Inflammation in hands, feet, or legs
There can be other symptoms which can’t be seen or felt but a regular visit to the doctor can reduce the chances of high risk pregnancy.
Why should preeclampsia be treated?
Preeclampsia must not be left unattended as it can become fatal and leads to the various pregnancy risks such as eclampsia, seizures or coma, or postpartum hemorrhage, reversible blindness, organs damage, kidney damage, liver damage, cardiovascular disease, destruction of red blood cells, premature birth, and placental abruption. On top of everything, it can also restrict the growth of the fetal. It should be treated at the right time.
How is preeclampsia treated?
At Sneh Hospital, we offer the best treatment to our valuable patients. We work as a support system for couples along their journey to parenthood. When it comes to pregnancy complications we offer the treatment depending upon the severity of the condition. For treating preeclampsia, we have comprehensive options in accordance with the situation, know it all!
- Regular monitoring of blood pressure
- Antihypertensive drugs such as labetalol
- As per situation, we recommend premature delivery
- If baby is well-developed, our doctor may recommend induce delivery or C-section delivery
- Blood test or urine test
- Injection of magnesium sulphate to prevent preeclampsia related seizures
- Steroid injection for baby’s lung maturity
- Medications to reduce symptoms
Other than this, the treatment is utterly hinged on the stage or level of preeclampsia. Make a regular visit to the Best Maternity hospital in Ahmedabad. We offer prenatal, antenatal and postnatal care and counseling. Contact us now to have a healthy pregnancy!